Sunday, 17 May 2015

Two for One

Sometimes it happens quickly.

It has been 11 months thus far for one of my stories. Eleven months at a magazine patiently waiting for an answer: will you publish this story or not? I'm told that this is a good sign. An editor at a literary magazine said this. She said, "It means they are interested. These things take time." So I am encouraged. Still, a baby could have been born in less time.

Compare this pace to a different magazine.

Two weeks, said the tweet. We will respond with detailed criticism and a publication decision in two weeks. So I set to work chopping and hacking two of my stories down to the 5000 word limit before sending them off. And to their word, in two weeks I had pages of feedback -- intelligent observations. I was impressed. Plus they wanted to publish my stuff. Both stories. Talk about a contrast.

I won't say who the first magazine is, but the latter is Embers Igniting. I'd check them out if the prospect of a speedy reply appeals to you. Mind you, that tweet was a Christmas special, a limited time offer, and who knows if that offer will be back next year. It's a Christian litmag out of Albuquerque, New Mexico. I'm looking forward to their 2015 issue due out soon. It comes in both hard copy and web version, so two for one.


No comments:

Post a Comment